Thursday, October 7, 2010

We Play on the Mat

We have a cheap IKEA floor mat which I often use when we take "inside toys" outside to play. The mat seems to define the play area so we (hopefully) don't end up with Lego etc scattered from one end of the yard to the other.
I have been following "Irresistible Ideas for Play Based Learning" for a while and particularly love the gorgeous playscapes they set up. So yesterday while the boys were out, I went into the toy room and dug out some Wooden Town Blocks we haven't used in ages. I also found some small cars, stones and wooden dolls and set up a little scene on the mat for when the boys got home. They both found it quite enticing and soon redesigned it to their own liking - giving us a little time to get dinner organised without two boys underfoot. I think I need to rotate some of the toys a bit more because there are a few things lurking at the back of the cupboard which haven't had an airing for a while. With a little bit of imagination I'm sure they will be played with again for many more hours.
What toys have you been playing with this week? “Come over and play at the Childhood 101 We Play link up”

3 comments:

  1. That looks like so much fun. I wish we still had our play mat so we could do something similar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That mat is HUGE! Looks like he's having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your town blocks, wish we had some. I have actually started sewing Immy a mat with roads and different environments which I hope to finish soon-ish!

    ReplyDelete